Happy New Year! Happy New Decade! The 2020’s is upon us and I’ve been thinking of some goals for this year. To keep it brief, I’ve only included 3 related to the spiritual life:
1) Devotion Time in the Morning
Having devotion time early in the morning has worked best. Jesus practiced early morning devotion: And rising very early in the morning, while it was still dark, he departed and went out to a desolate place, and there he prayed. (Mark 1:35 ESV). If the devil can’t make you bad, he will make you busy.
2) Develop a Mental Model / Timeline of the Gospel Events
I found a pamphlet that lays out the events of the Gospel. There’s a side by side comparison and references so that I could follow along. It’s a lot easier to wrap my head around the life of Jesus when the events are in a chronological order.
3) A Consistent Sabbath day
Number Four on the Big Ten is: “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor, and do all your work” (Exodus 20:8-9).
2019 New Year Christian Goals Related to Fitness and Faith:1) Get Back to Full Physical Health. Body is a Temple of the Holy Spirit.
2) Get 7-8 Hours of Sleep a Night. Trust in God in the allotted time.
3) Chronological Bible Read Thru. Develop a Strong Mental Map of Bible Events.
4) Spending Time in Silence with God. Start with 2 minutes of Being Still.
College Advice to my Younger Self
1) Pray then Plan
2) Do something with dinner party morals
3) College gives you an "at bat", but it's not for everyone
4) Try to get an Internship
5) Do something on the side
6) Hard to Commoditize Hard careers (HCHC)
7) Is the ministry calling?
Proverbs 6: 20 (ESV)
My son, keep your father's commandment,
and forsake not your mother's teaching.